Lighting has come a long way since the only option we had was the traditional fluorescent bulb. These days, LED is the way to go, and this form of lighting is not only among the most efficient, but it is also very versatile, and cost-effective.
And with the industrial look being very much all the rage right now, these 4 foot LED shop lights can also look great in domestic settings as well as being used moost popularly as garage lighting.
Our Top Best 4 Foot Shop Light Picks
Here’s our selection of the five best 4 foot shop lights on the market, so you can choose the one that fits your needs.
Our first selection is this model from Hyperion, and it is a clever design in more ways than one. This twin-tube light provided 4000 lumens of light, which is bright enough to provide light for any working area or a large domestic space (although we would recommend 8 foot LED light tubes for larger areas), and the design is a simple and timeless one that will look good wherever you decide it is needed.
This 4′ shop light comes with three fixing options; it can be suspended from the ceiling in the traditional manner and looks great when it is, it can be fixed directly to the ceiling, and thanks to clever design it can also be linked to other modules to create a continuous or wider spread of light.
Indeed, these 4 feet shop liights can be ordered in a pack of one, or a pack of four so you can do that straight away – or use them in different positions.
One big benefit of LED in shop lights is that there is no flicker and the brightness is instant.
This model comes with a 5-year warranty and with full fitting instructions too, all designed to be easy to fit. It has a pull chain on off or you can wire to a wall switch.
If there is a downside to these shop lights, its that while it is minimalist in style, it is perhaps a little too industrial for some, but at the price it makes a good choice.
- 4 pack
- 4000 Lumens
- Can be linked
- Easy to fit
- Not the most stylish
- Not the cheapest
This model is another very similar one to that above – indeed, you may find certain similarities between all of these – and comes as a single unit. As such, it is not the cheapest here, but it does have certain attributes that make it a very viable option.
The design of this 4 foot shop light is also suitably minimalist, with an aluminum and plastic lens construction that is designed to be robust and long-lived, and it hangs from the ceiling via metal chains or can be fitted flush. It is perhaps best for lighting bigger areas such as a garage, workshop or even a games room or basement, and as such is very effective.
It comes with a 44ft long power cord so there’s no need for hard-wiring, you simply plug into the mains – and it comes with a chrome plated pull cord for on/off function. It is also low wattage so cheap to run – another common feature of LED lights – and is supplied with a 5-year warranty.
We like this one and although it is not cheapest it is high quality.
- 4800 lumens
- Hanging or flush fitting
- Aluminium and plastic
- Can be linked
- Long power cord, plugs into mains
- Only one unit in pack
- Price not the cheapest
- Some may prefer hard-wired
This simple and no-frills LED 4′ shop light is one that will look best in a commercial or industrial setting; it is designed for practicality rather than looks, but if you do have an industrial interior to your home, then there’s no reason it should not be considered.
It’s not the brightest on our list with 3700 Lumens of output – but that should be sufficient for most users, especially as it’s very competitively priced.
This option is for a single light of 4-foot, and it can be linked to others as is usually the case, that can be hung from the ceiling or fitted flush. It is mains plug-in design and uses a plug connection to link units together. This one provides daylight white light – which is generally the case for industrial-type LED lamps – and is highly energy efficient.
A pull cord for on and off is the standard fixture, and it’s made from aluminum for durability and lightness. There’s no reason this couldn’t be used in a domestic setting, but we do feel it would be preferable for commercial use.
At the price – which is somewhat lower than those above, this single-unit 4 foot shop light purchase is a good deal.
- Aluminium case
- Daylight brightness
- Pull cord on and off
- Hanging or flush
- Only 3700 lumens
- Not the best looking
You get an impressive 4000 Lumens of daylight white brightness, which is the standard for a 4-foot shop light, and you get the usual simple, non-fussy design with a deflector shield and the tube beneath.
As with many of these lights, it’s designed with a pull-cord for switching the lights on and off and is able to be hung from the ceiling by the chains, or to be fitted flush to the surface.
You can connect up to five of these units in one line or side by side, thanks to the plug connection on the end of the unit, and they are simple to fit being plug-in devices that don’t need hard-wiring into the system.
With a long warranty and the claimed 50,000 hours of life from each light, this four pack purchase is a good deal in terms of value and one that would look great in your basement, games room or shop – or in any larger rooms in the home.
- Great price
- Four pack
- 4000 Lumens
- Daylight white
- Long life
- Can be linked
- Not great to look at
- Plug in may not appeal to some
Our final choice is an interesting one as it makes a claim that none of the rest on the list does: this one is sold as being ‘vapour proof’, which means it is suitable for use in wet areas.
If you have a damp garage that you need to light, this could well be the choice. We can’t comment on the others on the list as none have made this claim, but we suspect they may also be suitable – we advise you check first!
This is a typical design of 4 foot LED light in that it is practical rather than stylish, and it comes with all the fittings to be mounted flush to the ceiling – there is no chain hanging option that we could find though.
It has a power cord operation and requires hard-wiring into the electrical circuit, so you should also bear that in mind.
You get 2700 Lumens of brightness and it offers the usual maintenance-free long life. You can buy it as a single unit at a reasonable price, or in packs of up to 36 lights.
- Reasonable price
- Suitable for damp rooms
- Daylight white light
- Only 2700 Lumens
- Needs to be hard wired
- Flush fit only
- Cannot be linked
- Cord not supplied
So, that’s our list of five 4 foot LED shop lights that you should be looking at, but which is for you? Before we try and give you a verdict, a reminder of some of the things you should be looking for.
Expert Buying Guide
Light Emitting Diodes (LED’s) work in a different way to your traditional fluorescent bulbs, and also differ to the likes of halogen lights and other popular alternatives. The benefits of LED’s are as follows:
- Tube Size Fitting – If you’re replacing existing 4 foot tube lights, be sure to check your current fluorescent lights sizes first.
- Long life – LED’s are very long lasting, and while they may cost a little more to buy in the first instance, you soon reap the benefits
- Energy-efficient – LED’s are far more energy-efficient than other types of light, so you save money when using them
- Instant light – unlike some forms of light bulb that take a while to get to your desired level of light, LED’s offer instant light at maximum brightness
- No flicker – some forms of light flicker naturally, such as fluorescent tube; LED’s do not.
Important Features in LED Shop Lights
Whether you want an LED shop light for your commercial premises, for a workshop, or for domestic use, there are a few important features we advise you to look for.
- Brightness – measured in ‘lumens’, this is the level of output you will get from your LED lights. The range across those on our list covers from 2700 Lumens to 4800 Lumens – the latter of which is very bright indeed. For domestic use, the lower of these will be perfectly adequate.
- Fitting – does the light fit flush to the ceiling, or is it hung on chains? Most of these offer both options, but there is one that can only be fitted flush.
- Power Source – does the light need to be hard-wired into your circuit, or does it simply plug in? There are examples of each here, and there are pros and cons to both methods.
- Linking – you may want to link a number of these lights together, in which case you should choose one of the models where this can be done; some of these are packs of four which can be linked, others are single options which may or, in one instance, may not be linked.
- Price – to be fair, when all is said and done there is little between the above in price; some work out a little more expensive than others, but the thing to remember is the efficiency of LED means you will save money over conventional lighting in the long run.
Is there one we would recommend from our list? Let’s have a look!
If we were to recommend one 4 foot shop light in particular it would be the FrenchMay model, no.2 on the list, as it is powerful, well-made, has all the options and comes at a very reasonable price given its performance.